Analyse your Trello board in a Snap!

Trello is a web-based Kanban-style list-making application used by a lot of people that allows you to organize and prioritize your projects in a fun and flexible way. Everything that you do in Trello leaves a digital footprint that can be analysed using Process Mining. In this article, I want to show you how to extract your data from Trello, upload them into your Celonis Snap environment and improve your processes.

First, we need to extract the data from Trello.

Trello allows you to export your data as a CSV(if you upgrade to Business Class) or JSON file for free.

After exporting my data, I opened them with Google Sheets and spent some time to understand how they are structured and how to generate the necessary for my event log CaseID, Activity and Timestamp columns.

I figured out is that a good candidate for my:

1. CaseID column would be the actions__data__|__id column of my Trello data.
  2. Activity column would be the actions__type column of my Trello data because it’s like my activity history.

Hint: The columns that look similar to an activity history are most of the times a good candidate for your activity column :wink:

1. Timestamp column would be actions__date column of my trello data.

However, for the timestamp, I had to change the format from 2019-10-16T09:08:42.938Z to 10/16/2019 9:08:43. It’s quite easy to do that with the Find and Replace feature as it is shown below. First, replace “T” with “ “ space and then replace Z with “” nothing. As it is shown in the photo below.

This is what my event log looks like after I deleted the rest of the columns.

Now, I can use the Google sheets connector in Celonis Snap to load my data.

Then navigate to Snap and click the quickstart button as it is shown in the screenshot below.

Then select the Google Sheets connector.

Paste the URL of your Google sheet.

Allow Celonis Cloud to view your Google sheet

Select your sheet.

Check the uploaded file and make sure everything looks good and click next.

Then select Case ID, Activity Column, and Timestamp.

What is shown in the screenshot below is unique for Celonis Snap, because

• the transformation of the data,
  • the creation of the data model and data load
  • the creation of basic analysis.

are done automatically. These steps are normally performed by a data engineer but we automated these steps to open-up process mining to everyone.

After that, we just need to open the analysis.

This is what it looks like.

I hope this article will help you to get started analyzing your data. Looking forward to seeing some users sharing insights on how they improved their processes.

1 Like