Python API: automating transports from DEV to PRD

Hi all,

We have 2 (on premise, so not IBC) Celonis environments running: one where we develop our dashboards, and one production environment where finished and tested dashboards run.

Transporting dashboards from DEV to PRD is only done by us, on request. However, we’re looking into automating the manual steps to reduce errors.

Creating the transports from one or more dashboards and/or datamodels seems to be feasible through the Python API. However, I’m wondering if the ‘overwrite’ option is available in the Python API when uploading transports. The documentation does not mention this. Does anyone have any insights/ideas/suggestions?

Hi Joos,

I don’t think there is a built in option for this, if it’s only about analyses, one option could be to use pycelonis to backup the analysis on DEV, find the analysis with the same name on PRD and overwrite that one with the backup:

for example:

from pycelonis import get_celonis
dev = get_celonis("dev_url","api_secret","api_id","username")
prod = get_celonis("prod_url","api_secret","api_id","username")

analyses = ['nice dashboard','cool app']

for name in analyses:
    a1 = dev.analyses.names[name]
    a2 = prod.analyses.names[name]
    p = a1.backup_content()
    a2.rebuild_content_from_backup(p)

This will give an error if one of the analyses doesn’t exist on one of the teams but could be adjusted to be more flexible (e.g. create new analysis if it doesn’t exist yet in prod).

Reference:
https://python.celonis.cloud/docs/pycelonis/en/latest/reference/pycelonis.objects_base.BaseAnalysis.html#pycelonis.objects_base.BaseAnalysis.backup_content
https://python.celonis.cloud/docs/pycelonis/en/latest/reference/pycelonis.objects_base.BaseAnalysis.html#pycelonis.objects_base.BaseAnalysis.rebuild_content_from_backup

With celonis_tools one option might be to restore the transport in a temporary folder, delete analyses that have the same name as analyses in the temporary folder, and then replace them.

Best regards,
Simon Riezebos

Hi Simon,

Thanks for thinking with me/us :slight_smile: (always a pleasure)

So far I developed the code below to create 2 transports for dashboards and associated data models from a given folder, and store the transports on a shared drive.
I don’t think your approach works for us as we are on-premise and therefore have a different Python API package (assumption).

Overwriting analysis, keeping URLs and shared bookmarks working is crucial.
Secondly, transferring data models is very cumbersome as datamodel-table to DB-table settings, as well as loading settings, are not included in the transport.
Thirdly, as datamodels cannot be overridden, analyses need to be reconnected to the newly uploaded datamodel and the old one needs to be removed.

We’re planning to extend the script below in the coming weeks further. Any ideas, suggestions, or connections to people with similar challenges, are appreciated :slight_smile:

with CelonisSession(URL, logins[env]["username"], api_token=logins[env]["token"],api_secret=logins[env]["secret"], verify=use_tls) as session:
print("# dashboards {}".format(len(Analysis.load_all().all())))

print("# datamodels {}".format(len(DataModel.load_all().all())))

folder = Folder("2355......82a")
#get all analyses in the folder
a_list = list(folder.get_analyses())

name = todayString + "_KEY"
pwd = "abcdefg"
t = Transport.create_new(name+"_Analysis", pwd, analyses=a_list,include_datamodels=False, include_data=False)
t.download(r'X:\Processmining\Transports')

dm_list = [a.datamodel for a in a_list]
t_dm = Transport.create_new(name+"_DM", pwd, datamodels=dm_list,include_datamodels=False, include_data=False)
t_dm.download(r'X:\Processmining\Transports')

Hi Joos,

Pycelonis supports CPM4.5, and I’m pretty sure that URLs and shared bookmarks would not be overwritten.

It would be possible to solve it with celonis_tools too, but that might be difficult. With your requirements I’d try connecting to both systems in the same script and getting the sheets, variables and saved formulas from the DEV analysis and overwriting those in the PROD analysis. You might be able to do something similar for datamodels, looking up the linked datamodel in DEV and PROD and overwriting tables, columns and foreign keys from DEV to PROD without overwriting database connections etc.
This last option for datamodels would also be possible with pycelonis.

If you want to know more about which objects and functions are supported in CPM4 with pycelonis, check out: https://python.celonis.cloud/docs/pycelonis/en/latest/reference.html#cpm4-objects

Best regards,
Simon

Thanks a lot for sharing your further ideas, and the confirmation that PyCelonis supports 4.5.

We discussed with our product owner and we will work on this during our planning and innovation weeks surrounding the holidays. We’ll update this topic if we made progress.