How to analyze your Google Chrome history with Celonis Snap and work more effectively

As a product manager at Celonis, you have to deal with a lot of stakeholders and you get a lot of requests daily. In the beginning, I tried to be responsive but at the same time my to-do list was stacking up but I couldn’t understand why. I decided to analyze what I am doing wrong, therefore, I uploaded my Google Chrome history to my Celonis Snap Environment and this is what my Process explorer looks like.

This is a step-by-step guide, on how to analyze your Google Chrome history:

1. Install DB Browser for SQLite (https://sqlitebrowser.org/dl/) or similar software to be able to open the Google chrome history database and extract it to CSV file.
  2. Close Chrome browser.
  3. Open SQLite or your DB browser.
  4. Click Open Database.
  5. For windows open file: C:\Users<your windows user>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\History
  6. For Mac OS: Users//Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/History
  7. Open urls database.
  8. Export it as a CSV file.

After uploading it to Google sheets this is how it looks, I have in total 7 columns.

Now that I have my raw data I have to understand how to generate my event log. An event log needs always three elements:

• Case ID
  • Activity
  • Timestamp

After checking my data I realized that a good candidate for my:

• Activity column would be the title column of my CSV file

• Timestamp column would be last_visit_time column but I will convert the google timestamp to a date-time using this formula =((F2/1000000-11644473600)/60/60/24) + DATE(1970,1,1) . Like it is shown in the screenshot below. Don’t forget to change the format of the cell to Date time format.

• Case ID column would be my Timestamp column but taking into consideration only the date and I can do that by using this formula =DATE(YEAR(H2), MONTH(H2),DAY(H2)) ”. As shown in the screenshot below. Change the format of the cell to plain text format. I chose the date because I want to analyze my daily activities with Google chrome.

Last but not least, because the Google Sheets connector is not considering formula values at the moment, I copied all the data and then pasted values only.

After that, I can use the Google sheets connector in Celonis Snap to load my data.

Then navigate to Snap and click the quickstart button as it is shown in the screenshot below.

Then select the Google Sheets connector.

Paste the URL of your Google sheet.

Allow Celonis Cloud to view your Google sheet

Select your sheet.

Check the uploaded file and make sure everything looks good and click next.

Then select Case ID, Activity Column, and Timestamp.

What is shown in the screenshot below is unique for Celonis Snap, because

• the transformation of the data,
  • the creation of the data model and data load
  • the creation of basic analysis.

are done automatically. These steps are normally performed by a data engineer but with Celonis Snap the goal that everyone can use Process Mining.

That’s it! Just click the analysis.

I’ve taken immediate real-life action to reduce the items in my to-do list and to improve my processes:

1. Plan my day and stick to it.
  2. Add a calendar blocker to work on my to-do items.
  3. Check my calendar and emails only in the morning and before I leave the office not regularly.

That’s how analyzing my Google Chrome history with Celonis Snap helped me to work more effectively.

The next step would be to do this with the task mining capabilities that Celonis recently announced in order to be more accurate.

6 Likes