Get throughput time until a specific activity, but not counting with it

Hi, everyone.
Is there any way to calculate the throughput time from process start to a certain activity, but excluding that same activity from the time counting?
In some cases of a specific process, there’s an extra activity that shouldn’t be there, but it is. So I just need to take it out of those cases throughput calculation.
Thank you

0 Likes

Hi Joaquim,

If I understand you correctly you want to calculate the throughput from the start of the process until the specific activity takes place, excluding time that the activity takes to complete.

The calculation of the throughput time works by calculating the difference between the time stamps of the starting point (in your case: Process start) and the end point (in your case: specific activity). Whether the time it takes to complete the activity is included in the calculation depends on whether the activity is logged into your source system at the time when it was begun or when it was completed. As there is generally only one times stamp Celonis isn’t provided with any data with which it could calculate the duration for the activity. At what point the Activity is logged depends on the nature of the activity and how your company does things. If you can assume that the activity is logged after it is completed, I recommend you subtract your best estimate of the average time it takes to complete the activity at your company from the throughput time.

If the activity takes place multiple times for some cases I recommend you change the default form ‘Last Occurrence’ to ‘first Occurrence’. So that you don’t include the time taken to complete previous instances of the activity in your calculation.

Here is the PQL syntax for my recommendation

AVG(CALC_THROUGHPUT(CASE_START TO FIRST_OCCURRENCE['Book Invoice'], REMAP_TIMESTAMPS("_CEL_P2P_ACTIVITIES"."EVENTTIME", DAYS))) – X

Where X is your estimate for how long the activity takes in average.

If you want to calculate the throughput time in days rather than hours, just replace “DAYS” with “HOURS”.

Best wishes,
Viana

0 Likes