Automation Rate Calculation in SAP

Hello Experts,
I would like to seek your suggestions on the Automation Rate calculation for any process step. For backend system as SAP we are using the User Type field to identify whether a particular transaction have been done by manual or automatic user. However we have numerous cases in which a manual user triggers a batch job in SAP. Some would say that as there is a human touch involved the transactions should be considered as manual. However my argument is that if this batch job creates / changes multiple documents within a very short period (e.g. 1000 sales orders created within 1-2 mins) then it definitely cannot be done by a human.
As all these documents have a manual user ID attached to it hence currently they are being considered under manual bucket which is reflecting lower automation rate than actual. However we cannot completely consider only these user IDs under automated as these users can also create a document manually as well.
Can you let me know how we can handle this situation. Can someone from our peer community enlighten what they did in their organizations.

Best Regards
Anindya

2 Likes

Hi Anindya,

thank you for this question. I think a discussion around automation rates is highly welcome by all users for the community. As a starting point the following post might help: Ignoration of user type for specified activities. The code there goes into the direction you were talking about. The user in the post used 20 seconds as a reasonable threshold.

However, maybe others have some good ideas as well as this is not always easy to tackle.

Best
Manuel

Hey Anindya,

we had the same discussion in our company and implemented temporarily a solution on database level in HANA DB.

Very rough: we have so called Masstransactions in SAP (custom transactions) developed by our company.

We checked (for certain activities) if the same manual user performed an activity in more than one sales order within timeframe of e.g 10 seconds. If yes, the user name was set to MASSTRANSACTION and the usertype was changed to B (which in SAP is batch/background/system).
By this the Masstransctions are considered as automated.

However we also changed the automation rate calculation in Celonis. The reason here was: we noticed some activities in SAP trigger other activities (e.g. Change requested delivery date —> Change Billing Date)
We did not want the 2 activities to be counted twice as manual by the Automation Rate calculation.

If you are interested I can share the change we made to the calculation and we can discuss about it.

Best regards,
Marcel

2 Likes